Important Information for Nominators
Nominations for all Sierra Club awards are due by June 1. For fullest consideration, please submit your nominations early.
Awards are presented at the Club's annual dinner in San Francisco unless nominators prefer to have them presented locally.
Please note the following when making a nomination:
- Sierra Club employees are usually not eligible for volunteer awards.
- Current members of the Sierra Club Board of Directors and immediate family members of the Honors and Awards Committee or the
- Board Executive Committee also are not eligible to receive awards.
- Award nominations may not come from family members or relatives (spouse, fiance, etc.)
- Awards are usually not given posthumously.
- We strongly recommend that you prepare and save your nominations in a separate document (like Microsoft Word, etc.). This gives you a backup copy. You can then paste the text into the appropriate fields on the nominations forms.
Documentation is critical for most awards. In addition to the nomination form, all entries should include a set of supporting materials such as news clippings, testimonial letters and samples of the nominee's work. Documentation should be mailed to:
Sierra Club Honors and Awards Committee
217 John Thomas
Georgetown TX 78628
PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR A SIGNATURE ON PACKAGES THAT ARE DELIVERED TO THIS ADDRESS
Please do not send large attachments or multiple attachments by e-mail.
All nominators will be notified upon receipt of their nominations. Nominators also will be notified in August if their nominee is selected for an award. Note: Nomination packets will not be returned. Documentation for winning awards is sent to the Sierra Club archives at the University of California-Berkeley Library.
Here are some examples of good, well-written, and well-supported nominations:
David Brower Award example
Oliver Kehrlein Award example
Special Service Award example
William Colby Award example
Environmental Alliance Award example
One Club Award example
For more information, contact the Awards Committee Chair Ellen Davis at email@example.com.