The Sierra Club is looking for dedicated members who want to take on the exciting and challenging role of being a member of the Sierra Club’s Board of Directors by running as a candidate in the 2015 election.
Directors set the priorities, policies, and national budget (with member input) that enable volunteers and staff to carry out the Sierra Club’s mission. Each Director experiences the rewards and satisfaction of being a part of the team leading the most influential grassroots environmental organization in the United States with a budget of nearly $100 million and a staff of over 500 as well as thousands of dedicated volunteers. The Sierra Club is committed to seeking a diverse pool of candidates and encourages members from any geographical region, backgrounds, race, gender or age to apply.
The Board of Directors is comprised of 15 elected volunteers, and has the legal responsibility and authority to oversee all staff and volunteer activities of the Sierra Club. Together they establish the Club’s conservation priorities, internal policies, and develop and implement the budget.
Each Director is elected for a term of three years. Board members receive reimbursement for travel and lodging, and can claim a modest per diem during Board meetings and while on Sierra Club business.
The Sierra Club Board is a working board. All members are expected to devote sufficient time and energy to the tasks at hand. All Directors are expected to:
• Prepare for and attend four Board meetings annually, as well as periodic conference calls, email, and other briefings.
• Serve actively on one or more Board advisory committees and/or task forces.
• Participate actively in Board of Directors’ deliberations by respectful listening, a willingness to learn, and by contributing in ways that advance the Sierra Club’s strategic priorities.
• Represent the Sierra Club and its programs, campaigns, and policies to various Sierra Club and public audiences.
Applicants interested in serving should be:
• Dedicated to the purposes and goals of the Sierra Club
• Able to think strategically, politically, and creatively about a range of environmental issues
• Able and willing to accept the legal and fiduciary responsibilities of a Director
• Be familiar with the structure and culture of the Sierra Club, and
• Able and willing to commit several hours per week to Board duties, plus travel to at least 4 meetings.
All applicants are required to have been Sierra Club members continuously for one year prior to the close of nominations on January 14, 2015. The election rules and the entire Bylaws & Standing Rules are available via these links. We will interview applicants by phone, teleconference, or in-person during the September to November 2014 time period. You may contact any member of the Nominating Committee for a copy of the candidate application, which is also included below.
Please email the completed application by July 15, 2014 to ensure consideration for this year’s nominations. Please email them to MarvinBaker@msn.com
Members wishing to be considered as candidates for the Sierra Club Board of Directors 2015 election must submit the following application documents to the Nominating Committee:
A. A PDF or Microsoft Word document, not to exceed three pages, in a 12 pt. font, that answers the following four questions:
1. Why do you want to serve on the Sierra Club Board?
2. What skills and accomplishments do you have that prepare you to serve on the Sierra Club Board?
3. What are the most important organizational challenges and opportunities that the Sierra Club faces and how can they be addressed?
4. What are the most important environmental challenges and opportunities that we face today and how should the Board address them?
B. A personal resume of not more than two pages (in Word or PDF) which lists:
1. Your personal contact information:
• E-mail address
3. Brief employment history
4. Sierra Club engagement and accomplishments
5. Leadership roles (Sierra Club and other)
6. Three references, at least one of them from a Sierra Club source (include contact information).
7. The year you joined the Sierra Club and your membership number
Submit these documents electronically no later than July 15, 2014 to MarvinBaker@msn.com to ensure consideration for this year’s nominations. Questions or comments should be referred to any Nominating Committee member.
Thank you for considering possible service to the Sierra Club as a Director.
Nominating Committee 2014-2015
Marvin Baker (2014-2016) Chair
Ron Franklin (2013-2016)
Karen Maki (2014–2017)
Menlo Park, CA
Angel Martinez (2014-2017)
Robbie Cox (2015-2018)
Barbara Williams (2015-2018)
Fair Oaks, CA
Jeri Andrews (2015-2017)
Westlake Village, CA