List etiquette suggestions from the listmaster.
- Read and respect the Sierra Club List Participant Terms and Conditions and Sierra
Club Standards of Conduct.
- Know the charter of the list and keep your messages on topic.
- Do not send messages to a list you would not say out loud to a group of
- Wait overnight before sending passionate responses, and always focus on
issues, not personalities.
- Never forget that the person on the other side is human.
- Be polite.
- Be careful with humor and sarcasm.
- Be brief and use clear language.
- If you are responding to a previous posting, summarize what you are
following up upon.
- When summarizing, summarize.
- Do not clutter messages with signatures, headers, quotes, or histories
(previously posted emails).
- Ask permission from the sender before posting a private message to the
- Send private responses to individuals, not to the list.
- Do not repeat what has already been said and send comments such as "I
agree" and "me, too" to the sender, not the list.
- Use appropriate subject lines.
- Do not use list subscriber email address to populate a new list.
- For more information on Netiquette, refer to the Internet Engineering Task
Force's (IETF) guidelines.
Up to Top