Pear Salad With Chiangbai Ants
By David George Gordon
Photo by Chugrad McAndrews
Yield: 4 servings
- 3 cups baby spinach, washed and dried
- 2 crisp pears, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup shaved Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons dried Changbai ants
On four salad plates, arrange the spinach, adding a layer of pear slices to the heap. Sprinkle the bell pepper and shallots over the pears. Splash each salad with about 1/2 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Add the shaved cheese to the salads and sprinkle the ants over the cheese. Feeling antsy? Your salads are now ready to be served.
Printed with permission from The Eat-A-Bug Cookbook, Revised: 40 Ways to Cook Crickets, Grasshoppers, Ants, Water Bugs, Spiders, Centipedes, and Other Edible Insects, by David George Gordon, copyright Â© 2013. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group.