Everyone is welcome! You don't have to be a Sierra Club member to participate in any Sierra Club event.
New -- Members of the HBG have written an urban hiking guide for Knoxville and Knox County: Urban Hikes in Knoxville and Knox County. A print version may be purchased at: legacyparks.org. All proceeds from book sales go to the Legacy Parks Foundation.
- Registration is required for each outing. Register early. Many outings are limited as to the number of participants. Also, most have registration cutoff times and dates.
- Driving distances listed in the outings details are approximate and are one-way from downtown Knoxville.
- ALL wilderness hikes require sturdy hiking boots/shoes. Hikers must be prepared for various weather conditions with proper gear such as poncho or rain suit for rain, warm clothes for a cold snap, and a hat and sun protection for hot weather.
- Each hike is rated Easy, Moderate or Difficult. "Rated" refers to the degree of difficulty, and although ratings are subjective, the following system provides guidelines:
Easy - Suitable for beginning hikers with distances up to five miles on an established trail, with only moderate ascent and descent.Moderate - Suitable for the established hiker with distances up to seven miles, with possibly rocky terrain, perhaps some steep ascent and descent, rock scrambling and water crossings.Difficult - Only for the established hiker with distances above eight miles, difficult terrain (sometimes off established trails), and probably steep terrain.If you doubt your readiness for a hike, don't hesitate to discuss it with the outings leader
- All participants on Sierra Club outings are required to sign a standard liability waiver. To read the liability waiver prior to the outing, click here.
- It is customary that participants carpool. The Sierra Club has no insurance for carpooling and assumes no liability for it. Carpooling, ride sharing or anything similar is strictly a private arrangement between participants.