*** Note: the new outings schedule for 2016 is now available (see below). ***
Everyone is welcome! You don't have to be a Sierra Club member to participate in any Sierra Club event.
NOTE – this is a special year! This is our National Park System (NPS) centennial year, and to honor this year, many National Parks have created a Centennial Challege: 100 miles for 100 years. Both Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP) and the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area (Big South Fork NRRA), which is managed by NPS, are offering challenges. Details, including a form for recording your hikes, are available online at the respective parks' websites. So any of our hikes that take place in GSMNP or Big South Fork NRRA will qualify toward the completion of the respective challenge. Our hikes this year include over 150 miles in GSMNP, and over 25 miles in Big South Fork NRRA, so using some HBG hikes in your personal "challenge hiking program" could be a significant portion of the 100 miles needed for either challenge. (Note - only hikes during the calendar year ending Dec 31, 2016 will count for the "challenge.")
New -- Members of the HBG have written an urban hiking guide for Knoxville and Knox County: Urban Hikes in Knoxville and Knox County. A print version may be purchased at: legacyparks.org. All proceeds from book sales go to the Legacy Parks Foundation.
- Registration is required for each outing. Register early. Many outings are limited as to the number of participants. Also, most have registration cutoff times and dates.
- Driving distances listed in the outings details are approximate and are one-way from downtown Knoxville.
- ALL wilderness hikes require sturdy hiking boots/shoes. Hikers must be prepared for various weather conditions with proper gear such as poncho or rain suit for rain, warm clothes for a cold snap, and a hat and sun protection for hot weather.
- Each hike is rated Easy, Moderate or Difficult. "Rated" refers to the degree of difficulty, and although ratings are subjective, the following system provides guidelines:
Easy - Suitable for beginning hikers with distances up to five miles on an established trail, with only moderate ascent and descent.Moderate - Suitable for the established hiker with distances up to seven miles, with possibly rocky terrain, perhaps some steep ascent and descent, rock scrambling and water crossings.Difficult - Only for the established hiker with distances above eight miles, difficult terrain (sometimes off established trails), and probably steep terrain.If you doubt your readiness for a hike, don't hesitate to discuss it with the outings leader
- All participants on Sierra Club outings are required to sign a standard liability waiver. To read the liability waiver prior to the outing, click here.
- It is customary that participants carpool. The Sierra Club has no insurance for carpooling and assumes no liability for it. Carpooling, ride sharing or anything similar is strictly a private arrangement between participants.
|Word or Phrase||Word or phrase to search for:|
|Leader||All or part of leader name to search for:|
No Matching Activities Found
|Date||Activity (click title for full description)||Sponsor||Category||Type||Difficulty||Miles