We collect two basic types of information from you in conjunction with your use of the Sites, personal information and non-personal information. Personal information is information that you may supply to us, as described more fully below, i.e., when you subscribe, place an order, complete a survey, register for a Site or any part thereof, enter a contest, upload content, participate in a community, or provide your e-mail address. Personal information is any information that can individually identify you and includes, among other things, your name, e-mail address, telephone number, postal address, credit card, billing and contact information. Non-personal information includes information that does not personally identify you, but it may include tracking and usage information about your location, demographics, use of the Sites and the Internet.
NORMAL WEBSITE USAGE
The Sierra Club has a firm commitment to internet privacy. You can visit most portions of our Sites without telling us who you are and without revealing any personal information.
Collection of Personal Information From or Through Social Media Sites
When you interact with any Sierra Club property page or account on a social media platform, such as Facebook, we may collect the personal information that you make available to us on that page or account including your account ID or “handle.” However, we will comply with the privacy policies of the corresponding social media platform and we will only collect and store such personal information that we are permitted to collect by these social media platforms. If you choose to link or login to your Sierra Club account with or through a social networking service, Sierra Club and that service may share certain information about you and your activities. With your consent, we also may share information about your activities, including what you view on the Sites, with that social network’s users.
Collection and Use of Personally Identifiable Information
The Sierra Club may collect email addresses and other personally identifiable data about you when such data is voluntarily submitted to our Sites. There are a number of circumstances in which you may supply us with your personal information. The following lists the most common ways in which we may collect your personal information.
- Registration for an account on the Sites
- Sign up to receive e-mail newsletters or e-mail alerts from us
- Request for customer service or other assistance
- Participation in surveys, panels, or market research
- Participation in special events and promotions
- Purchases on the Sites, including subscriptions to the Sierra Club publications and services
- Placing an order
- Entry in contests or sweepstakes
- Participation on social media accounts involving the Sierra Club, our Sites and our brands
- Participation in communities, chat rooms and comment threads, other fora, and other interactive services
- Submission of user generated content on any part of the Sites that permit it
- Any other place on the Sites where you knowingly volunteer personal information
For example, our Sites may require submission of personally identifiable data for visitors to request information, products, and services, or to become a member of the Sierra Club or join other Sierra Club activities or programs (such as AddUp). Such information is used to send orders and information about the Sierra Club to our visitors. Financial information is used to bill visitors in connection with their orders. Some of the activist functions of our site also require registration of personal information. We use this information to make these functions more effective and provide participants with additional information about conservation issues. If you submit personally identifiable information to the Sierra Club some information, such as your name and mailing address, may be exchanged with other organizations. Members may opt out of such membership list exchanges by following the Opt-Out Procedures, below
Collection and Use of Non-Personally Identifiable Information
We may also collect certain information that does not identify you individually and our servers may automatically keep an activity log of your use of our Sites (“Non-Personal Information”). We may collect and store any of the following categories of Non-Personal Information:
• Non-identifiable demographic data such as age, gender, and five digit zip code as part of collecting personal information
• Device information about your computer, mobile device, or other device that you use to access the Sites. This information may include IP address, geolocation information, unique device identifiers, browser type, browser language, and other transactional information.
• Analytics and usage information about your use of the Sites.
• Additional “traffic data” and log files such as time of access, date of access, software crash reports, session identification number, access times, and referring website addresses.
• Other information regarding your use of the Sites.
Collection of Your Source IP Address/Location Information
We may also collect and store location information about you on the Sites and associated with your account that you volunteer on the site or enable through the site. We also collect and store your computer’s source IP address which may disclose the location of your computer at the time you access the Sites.
Is Personal Information Collected From Children?
Unless otherwise disclosed during collection and with parent or guardian consent (for instance, in some of the educational areas on our Sites), Sierra Club does not knowingly collect personal identifiable information from children under 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years of age you should not provide personally identifiable information to the Sierra Club without providing us with consent from your parents. If the Sierra Club discovers that a child under the age of 13 has provided the Sierra Club with personally identifiable information and we do not have parental consent, the Sierra Club will immediately delete that child’s information from the Sites.
How Do We Use Your Information
We use the information we learn from you to help us personalize and continually improve your experience on the Sites. We may use your Personal and Non-Personal Information in the following ways:
- Provide you with the content, products and services you request
- Post your user generated content to our Sites as you request
- Communicate with you about your account or transactions with us and send you information about features and enhancements on or to our Sites
- Communicate with you about changes to our policies
- Communicate with you about your comment to a story or topic
- Personalize content and experiences on our Sites, including providing you recommendations based on your preferences
- Send you newsletters, offers and promotions for our products and services, third party products and services, or special events by e-mail, text, or other another medium
- Provide you with advertising including advertising based on your activity on our Sites or activity on third party sites and applications
- Administer contests, sweepstakes, promotions, and surveys
- Optimize or improve our products, services and operations
- Detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal
- Perform statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of users of the Sites and their purchasing patterns
Combination of Your Personal Information
We use the information from one portion of the Sites on other portions of Sites in our network of Sites, all of which are owned and operated by the Sierra Club, and we may combine information gathered from multiple portions of the Sites into a single user record. We also use and/or combine information that we collect off-line or we collect or receive from third party sources to enhance, expand, and check the accuracy of your records.
Disclosure to Third Parties
We occasionally have third parties perform services on our behalf, such as data processing, marketing, analytics, advocacy and outreach, hosting, billing, social media integration, fraud protection, etc. These third parties have access to your personal information only as needed to perform their services for the Sierra Club and are contractually obligated to maintain the confidentiality and security of the personal information.
We may disclose or share Non-Personal Information (or other information, other than Personal Information) in any other manner that we deem appropriate or necessary. Among other things, we will disclose Non-Personal Information to third parties to help us determine how people use parts of the site and who our users are so we can improve our site. We will also disclose Non-Personal Information to our partners and other third parties about how our users collectively use the site.
Retention of User Information
Following termination or deactivation of your account, Sierra Club, its affiliates, or its service providers may retain information (including your profile information) and any submitted for a commercially reasonable time for backup, archival, and/or audit purposes.
The Sierra Club uses industry accepted data collection and encryption methodologies in an attempt to ensure the secure collection and transmission of sensitive user information. While we try our best to safeguard your personal information once we receive it, no transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
"Remember me" feature
On some of our forms, we offer an optional "remember me" feature that can recall your information for greater ease on subsequent visits to the site.
Your Obligations to Keep Your Access Rights Secure
You promise to: (a) provide true, accurate, current and complete information as prompted by a Site’s registration form, order form or otherwise (such information being the "User Data") and (b) maintain and promptly update the User Data to keep it true, accurate, current and complete. If you provide any information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or the Sierra Club has reasonable grounds to suspect that such information is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, the Sierra Club has the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of the Sites (or any portion thereof). You are entirely responsible for the security and confidentiality of your password(s) and account(s). Furthermore, you are entirely responsible for any and all activities that occur under your account(s).
What Happens When I Link To or From Another Website?
What About Contests, Sweepstakes or Games?
Public Areas, Chat Rooms, Reviews, and Community Areas
Please remember that any information you share in public areas, such as message boards, feedback sections or campaign sites such as Addup.org, becomes public and anyone may take and use that information. Please be careful about what you disclose and do not post any Personal Information that you expect to keep private. Please consult the applicable guidelines, if any, for use of our chat rooms and other community areas for more information.
Notice to Non-US Users
Changes to This Policy
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
OPT-OUT, CORRECTION, AND “UNSUBSCRIBE” PROCEDURES
To opt out of having your information exchanged with other organizations, or to correct any information, send us email or postal mail as follows:
Email to email@example.com.
Send postal mail to:
85 Second Street, 2nd Floor
San Francisco, California 94105
In your letter or email, make sure to give us your:
·Mailing address (including City, State and Zip Code)
·Indication that you do not wish to have your membership information exchanged with other organizations, or correction instructions.
The Sierra Club may contact you by email to communicate advocacy and educational messages, and other information that may be of interest to users of this site. There are several ways in which you can opt-out of receiving such future email communications from us:
- We provide you with the opportunity to opt-out at the point where we request information from you, such as when you take action through our site.
- When you set up an account on our Member Center, you also have the opportunity to specify the email subscriptions that you wish to receive or not receive. You can update your email subscription preferences through your account at the Member Center at any time. We also permit you to correct or update certain personal information that you have provided by editing your profile on your account at the Member Center.
- You also have an opportunity to opt-out of receiving future email communications from us by following the "unsubscribe" or "remove" instructions contained in emails we send you.
We may continue to contact you via email for administrative or informational purposes, including follow-up messages regarding the administration of your account, renewal of your membership, contests you have entered or other transactions you have undertaken.