We are 100% volunteer run!
Steps to becoming a NYC ICO volunteer
Steps to becoming an NYC ICO Partner Agency
Steps required to become a certified NYC ICO agency partner:
- Contact NYCICO Chair at email@example.com to express interest
- Fill out two forms: New Agency Letter of Agreement and New Agency Application
- Have one to two certified leaders dedicated to the program. If NYCICO does not currently have available certified leaders, we can provide training to get a member of your organization certified. Steps required for certification are below.
What Inspiring Connections Outdoors provides for our partner agencies:
- Full access to our 150+ experienced volunteers, who will receive an announcement and opportunity to RSVP through meetup.com any time you have a trip coming up
- Insurance coverage through Sierra Club (the trip leader and all volunteers must be Sierra Club members: join here)
- The experience and expertise of our dozen or so Certified Leaders that have been running trips in the NY area for many years
- Funding assistance for trip costs like transportation and food as well as equipment (camping, clothing, hiking, etc). We have a few fundraising activities per year- past fundraising activities have been hosting an Adventure Film Festival, Hikeathons, and gift wrapping at REI. We are responsible for our own funding.
Our groups have run trips ranging from nature walks through Central Park up to and including 10-day backpacking trips, and everything in between: day hikes, ice skating, backpacking, skiing, white water rafting, museum visits, and more.
Steps to become an ICO Certified Leader:
- Attend our New Volunteer Orientation, held quarterly (email firstname.lastname@example.org for details)
- Complete New Volunteer Application and Code of Ethics (available when you rsvp for New Volunteer Orientation)
- Maintain current Sierra Club membership (join here)
- Complete a background check
- Wilderness First Aid certification (available all throughout the year though ICO offers it in January)
- Attend our Outdoor Leadership Training
- Shadowing one of our certified leaders on at least 2 trips to get a feel for our pre-trip planning, trip announcements, forms, procedures, and expense reporting process, provisionally leading one trip
- Receive the blessing of the Chair!