Local Outings are Adventures with a Cause!
The Montana Chapter offers local outings, open to the public and generally free. When you join (or lead!) outings you connect with other people who share your interest in and passion for our natural places, unique communities, and impressive wildlife. Plus, you learn about the issues impacting public lands, wildlife, water, and energy and climate in our state.
We welcome new leaders! If you are interested in leading outings, whether day hikes, overnights, rafting, or touring a renewable energy facility, let us know. Contact Director Summer Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org for information about the level of training you need, how to become certified as a local outings leader, and to inquire about 1st aid training sponsorship.
Montana Chapter Outings Leaders must:
- Be a Sierra Club Member and at least 18 years old
- Be current in CPR and Wilderness First Aid
- Complete the Sierra Club Outings Leader Training 101 to lead day trips
- Complete the Sierra Club Outings Leader Training 201 to lead trips overnight away from cars
- There are additional requirements to lead trips specifically for groups of youth
- Possess the skills appropriate for the activities of the trip
- Be an assistant leader on a trip with a certified Leader, and receive approval from the Outings Chair or delegated authority of the Chapter
- Commit to follow applicable policies, maintain communication with Chapter staff and volunteer leaders, and practice equity principles to ensure participants have a safe and respectful experience
Outings Leader trainings can be completed on your own, or on occasion, we offer in-person group leader trainings. The Chapter strives to provide funding for the CPR and First Aid training for outings leaders who can commit to lead at least two Montana outings per year and who would not otherwise need the training for professional purposes.
Outings were on hold for much of 2020 and 2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Outings can now be held, with certain precautions and limitations. While we do not have any public outings currently on the calendar, please check back at our site calendar for future scheduled outings and other events. Outings are FREE (unless otherwise specified) and OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. These adventures will combine good times in the outdoors with an educational component where folks will gain conservation-related knowledge about the amazing Montana landscape surrounding us, and issues affecting land, water, wildlife, and energy production. *Participants must RSVP to the appropriate contact and sign a liability release to participate in an outing. Sorry, no pets allowed. Participants are responsible for their own food, water, sun/rain gear and other supplies. We will practice ‘Leave No Trace’ ethics, so be prepared to pack out whatever you pack in! Outings leaders will email or call with more information after you sign up.
|Word or Phrase
|Word or phrase to search for:
|All or part of leader name to search for:
No Matching Activities Found
|Activity (click title for full description)