The Sierra Club is the largest and most influential grassroots environmental organization in the United States. It has chapters across the country, including the Virginia Chapter. The Falls of the James Group (FOJG) is one of the eleven Virginia Chapter (Local) Groups.
FOJG celebrates nature and the outdoor recreational opportunities of our diverse region. We are working to preserve and restore our environment through Education, Conservation, and Advocacy. Our issues and goals include:
- A just transition from fossil fuels to clean, renewable energy with all possible speed.
- Racial and Environmental Justice
- Evaluating, endorsing and working to elect enviro champions to local office.
- Recognizing regional environmental champions with our annual Green Giant awards.
- Supporting financially and with volunteer talent the RVA Environmental Film Festival.
We rely on the involvement of volunteer members in leadership roles, and to execute the Big Yard Sale, our annual fundraising, re-use event, held in partnership with the University of Richmond and Goodwill Industries.
The group's geographical area stretches from Hanover County down to the North Carolina border and from Amelia County east to Surry County. The map below shows the FOJG region in light orange.
FOJG serves the following counties:
- Charles City
- Prince George
FOJG also includes the following independent cities:
- Colonial Heights
Here is a map of all the Virginia Chapter Sierra Club groups.