Message From the Group Chair, Hazel
Dear Piedmont Plateau Sierrans and Friends,
As a former group chair and twenty-three year member of the Sierra Club, I bring a strong commitment to the environmental advocacy that our communities and planet need.
- During the uncertain times of last two years' pandemic, our abilities to care for both our world and the people in it were tested.
- Due to our love for natural spaces and the essential need for environmental justice and advocacy, we are guided by the strong mission of the Sierra Club:
- "to practice and promote the responsible use of the earth's ecosystems and resources;
- to educate and enlist humanity to protect and restore the quality of the natural and human environment,
- and to use all lawful means to carry out these objectives."
The Piedmont Plateau Group is doing its best to carry forth a leadership role within our communities.
- PPG has developed relationships that guide us in the direction of a "Clean Energy Future".
- We support our streams, farmland and forests.
- We have led the way to increase public awareness, by providing monthly educational programs (via Zoom) and developing the "Save Our Trees" campaign.
- We have also joined with the Haw River Assembly to monitor local streams.
- As we step into the first half of 2022 with all restrictions lifted, we are preparing for more invigorating and enjoyable outings.
- There are many good things happening for our communities and many beautiful sites to see within the Piedmont Plateau!
I look forward to working and interacting with you!
Message from Vice Chair, Karen Katula
"Even though the Greensboro City Council didn’t have the authority to call a moratorium on clear-cutting, the “Save Our Trees” campaign brought new life to the Piedmont Plateau Group.
- The "Save Our Trees" initiative attracted more members,
- as it illustrated that even a small group of people can actually follow through with action.
- Members want to see action.
- It's not enough to go on hikes or listen to speakers or have parties.
- My experience with "Save Our Trees"
- has made me more of a believer in the Sierra Club.
- It makes me want to be more involved.
- It was an exciting experience
- working with a group of people,
- practicing the talk, and
- presenting before the City Council.
I look forward to serving as Vice Chair and being involved with taking the “Save Our Trees” campaign in a different direction."