Creating opportunities to get outdoors and explore Missouri’s beautiful natural environment is an integral part of our work.
Here at the Sierra Club, we’re committed to providing opportunities for everyone to get outdoors. The Sierra Club was founded on the mission of going outdoors to explore and appreciate our natural environment. We carry on with that mission today with trips to the many streams, riverfronts, mountain fronts, and plains of Missouri. Join us on hikes, canoe trips, wilderness navigation courses, trail maintenance walks, and more to protect and appreciate our great outdoors.
Some of our groups, like the Eastern MO Group and the Thomas Hart Benton Group, have event calendars of events you can take part in. You can find information about our outings under Upcoming Events on our home page, or using the list below.
Our event calendar is featured on the home page of our website. To see a full outings schedule, find a list of events here.
Tips for Participants
- Is it right for you? Find out by reading the outing announcement.
- Sign up online, or by contacting the trip leader by phone or email. You’ll learn about what to expect, directions to the meeting place, and equipment you may need.
- Read this standard waiver and participant agreement that you’ll be asked to sign before the start of the outing.
- Your trip leader will suggest clothing and other items that will make the trip more enjoyable, such as comfortable shoes and clothing, a bottle of water, a rain jacket and extra layer in case of weather changes.
The Sierra Club provides trained leaders who know the venue, have at least basic First-Aid training, and have your trip enjoyment in mind. Good communication between leaders and participants is practiced, and the participants are required to stay together for the duration of the outing.
In the interests of facilitating the logistics of some outings, it is customary that participants make carpooling arrangements. The Sierra Club does not have insurance for carpooling arrangements and assumes no liability for them. Carpooling, ride sharing or anything similar is strictly a private arrangement among the participants. Participants assume the risks associated with this travel.
Want to become an outings leader?
Are you interested in leading a Missouri Chapter outing? Our outings are volunteer-led, and there is a wide range of outings volunteers can participate in. If you like going on adventures, exploring new places, and connecting with new people then this is the perfect opportunity for you!
Minimum requirements for becoming an outings leader for all Sierra Club programs:
- Sierra Club Membership and be at least 18 years old
- Complete a basic (or higher) first aid class
- Complete the Sierra Club Outings Leader Training
- Possess skills appropriate for the activities of the trip
- Complete additional training as required by the Outings Chair
- Be an assistant leader on at least one trip
- Receive approval to lead outings from the Outings Chair or delegated authority of the entity sponsoring the outing
For more information on leading our outings, please contact email@example.com.
Our ICO Team
Inner City Outings (ICO) is a part of the Sierra Club's Outdoors for All campaign. Our ICO team provides youth and adults from all communities with a safe and fun outdoors experience. Its mission is to promote personal development by linking culture, encouraging respect, providing leadership skills and fostering the protection of local and global environments. We aim to provide safe outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, paddling, and similar activities for youth and adults that would not usually have many opportunities to have a safe and fun outdoors experience. We typically work with afterschool programs and some local schools, and we are currently searching for new agencies to work with.
We are always seeking new leaders and volunteers to help with the program! As long as you are a Sierra Club member and have completed our outdoors trip leader training, we will help you through the rest of the steps to get involved. For more information, please contact our ICO Leader Tim Pekarek at firstname.lastname@example.org or the chapter office at email@example.com.