The Sierra Club Agriculture Committee Mission: To educate people about the issues involved in modern food production; encourage people to think about the environmental impacts of their consumption choices and make more sustainable food choices that can regenerate the earth and sea. To request information or apply for membership in the Santa Barbara-Ventura Agriculture Committee, complete this form.
SOME SOLUTIONS to protect our land, water, air and resources, support our local farmers and improve our health. Think LOVE* -- love food that loves you and our planet.
The Sierra Club's TRUE COST OF FOOD campaign is spreading the word about hidden costs in mass-produced food and about alternatives that are kinder to the planet and better for us.
The environmental problems caused by our eating habits can be solved—but only if a great number of consumers make an effort to solve them. Knowledge is power!
Want to learn more about where our food comes from? Watch the film, "At the Fork"
Great Resources for More Sustainable Food
- www.sbfarmersmarket.org – Santa Barbara farmers markets
- www.sbpermaculture.org – Santa Barbara Permaculture
- www.meetup.com/Santa-Barbara-Food-and-Farm-Adventures - Farm and food outings
- www.ediblesantabarbara.com - Magazine that promotes local food resources
Santa Barbara CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture)
- Farm Cart Organics - Farm in Carpinteria and buys from a variety of farms that delivers in north and south Santa Barbara and Ventura County; has add on specialty food www.farmcartorganics.com/
- Plow to Porch - Buys from a variety of farms and delivers in Santa Barbara Countywww.plowtoporch.com/
- Something Good Organics - Farm in Santa Ynez that delivers to Santa Barbara County; has add on specialty food www.somethinggoodorganics.com/
- Dare 2 Dream Farms - Farm and farm stand in Lompoc that delivers to North Santa Barbara County; has add on specialty food www.dare2dreamfarms.com/
- Local Harvest Delivery - Buys from a variety of farms that delivers in South Santa Barbara County; has add-on specialty food www.localharvest.deliverybizpro.com/
- Sunrise Organic Farm – Farms at 7 different locations with Farm stand in Goleta; pickup and delivery www.sunriseorganicfarms.com
- www.ranchosanjulianbeef.com – Rancho San Julian – grain & grass fed beef; options for grass fed exclusively and monthly purchase
- www.motleycrewranch.com – small animal farm in Lompoc
- www.casitasvalleypastures.com/ - small farm in Ventura
- www.oldcreekranch.net – Old Creek Ranch – Grass fed & finished beef, lamb in Cayucos
- www.hearstranch.com - Hearst Ranch – Grass fed & finished beef
- www.morrisgrassfed.com – Morris Ranch – Grass fed & finished – San Juan Bautista
- www.kanaloa.com – Kanaloa market
- www.sbfish.com – Santa Barbara fish market
- www.gethookedseafood.com – Community Supported Fishery
- www.foodprint.org – food choices for environment, people and animals
- www.ewg.org – Environmental Working Group – Climate change and the environment; creators of the Dirty Dozen
- www.seafoodwatch.org – sustainable seafood info
- www.vrg.org – vegetarian recipes and resources
- www.eatwellguide.com – Links to national CSA, farms, restaurants.
- www.slowfoodusa.org – Slow Food USA
- www.civileats.com – food and environment policy and farm information
- www.healthandenvironment.org – collaborative on health and the environment
- www.grist.org – Climate Justice Information
Some of Gerri French's favorite books on sustainable food
Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
If you have suggestions for additional resources please contact email@example.com