Welcome! This is a website for Outings Leaders and Leaders in Training. Please let us know if there are other resources you would like to see on this page. Thank you for getting outdoors and making it possible for others to get outdoors too!
There are 3 main ways to get approved as an Outings leader for the Chapter and, or local Groups. And these can be done in combination as long as the elements needed are fulfilled.
- You can sign up to take a virtual training class offered by a Sierra Club trainer. This is a remote training rpocess but does offer interaction with other volunteers interested in outdoor recreation.
- Starting May 27th, 2022, you will be able todo the training in a self-paced mode using the materials and an online qevaluation. . You will also need to take basic first aid and complete a provisional lead outing
- In person training. Expect an inperson training to take from 4 to 6 hours. This is the best type of training as you will meet other outings leaders to be in your region and it will help develop a network of people to work with as you pklan your outings.
Outing Leaders Basic Training (day outings)
- Modules (1 to 8): These are the training modules that have been revised as of May 2022. You can also find them in Campfire, Sierra Club's online platform, along with additional modules for different types of outings.
- First Aid (required): Periodically the Chapter and or a Group will organiza a first aid training. Or you can try the Red Cross to see if they have a class being offered - https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/first-aid/first-aid-training/first-aid-renewal
- Provisional lead (required): This is where you lead an outing that you have planned and are accompanied by another certified Outings leader.
- Certification: Approval as an Outings leader for the Chapter or Group.
Outings Leaders Resources
- Sign in sheet
- Setting up an Outing on Campfire
- Promoting your Outing
There is a Local Outings resource page on Campfire(https://community.sierraclub.org/section/outings/chapter-group-outings/local-outings). Here you will find most of the backgroud information needed for Local Outings Leaders and planning local outings. (CAMPFIRE: Home > Outings >Chapter & Group Outings > Local Outings)
Key documents for leading an outing:
- Participant waiver form
- Sign in/out sheet
- Incident report form