When you buy trail guides from the Allegheny Group, instead of from a retail store, you support the Allegheny Group’s local environmental advocacy.
Trail guides are shipped via United States Postal Service (USPS).
Please allow up to three weeks for delivery from date of order.
We cannot provide tracking information.
Send inquiries about trail guide orders to firstname.lastname@example.org
A Hiker's Guide to the Laurel Highlands Trail
This guide is a joint effort of the Pa. Chapter of the Sierra Club and the Western Pa. Conservancy. The first half of the guide covers such topics as:
- The geology and geologic history of Laurel Hill
- The climate, vegetation and wildlife of Laurel Hill
- A flow sheet that makes tree identification easy, fun and fast
- The cultural history of Laurel Hill from the time of the native Americans to the more recent public-land acquisition era
- Current land use
Authors of Part 1 were William R. Brice, William J. Curry III, Uldis Kaktins and Barbara S. Thorne.
The second half of the guide covers such topics as:
- A detailed written description on the trail for hikers and backpackers
- How to get to the various trailheads by car
- An elevation profile of Laurel Highlands Trail
- Planning hikes and backpack trips on the trail
- Reserving trail shelters for overnight stays
- Suggestions on what to take, how to dress, and when to go hiking
- A list of hiking organizations in the area
Part 2 was written by Bruce Sundquist. In all, the 6×9″ paperback contains 132 pages, with 27 pages of maps, 19 photographs and 21 illustrations. Edition 6 (2004)