Our country has been weaning off fossil fuel-powered electricity generation for more than a decade. Thanks partly to the work of Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal Campaign, more than 270 coal-fired power plants have retired, or are scheduled to retire. More than 400 US Mayors have signed the Climate Mayors compact (thank you Reno’s Hillary Schieve).
Seven states, Puerto Rico, the District of Columbia, and more than 140 US cities and counties have made the ambitious commitment to 100% clean, renewable energy by 2050 (thank you, Nevada Legislature and Governor Sisolak).
With these improvements to America’s electricity production, the transportation sector is now the leading emitter of greenhouse gases and other pollution. The Sierra Club's Clean Transportation for All and Beyond Coal campaigns are teaming up with the Toiyabe Chapter are teaming up to reduce vehicle emissions, increase public transit, and advocate for urban design that heals our climate, economic, equity, and public health impacts.
- On July 8, 2021, Sierra Club submitted these recommendations to the Clark County Title 30 code update. County and municipal codes are confusing and boring, but they are where the rubber hits the road for conservation and sustainability in our built environment.
- Clark County Residents, Help Sierra Club Shape the New Clark County Master Plan. Survey ended July 31, 2020.
- Speak Out to Prevent Clark County Sprawl.
- Why Tranportation Reform Matters
- Time's Up For Gas Powered Vehicles: Debunking Key Myths About EVs
- Smart Growth Can Save People and the Planet
- Why Air Quality is an Environmental Justice Issue
- Solutionary Rail. In February of 2021, the Toiyabe Chapter adopted this resolution in support of Solutionary Rail. By expanding and electrifying our national rail systems, we can drastically reduce carbon emissions while at the same time providing a renewable energy transmission network.
Two Teams are currently working on clean transportation. The Southern NV Group has an Urban Planning Team and the Nevada Rail Coalition is newly formed. Join these teams.