Campaign Organizer (temporary)
More info and apply here
Must be available for regular in-person work (2-3 days/week) in St. Paul, some work can be done remotely.
Reports to State Director
Duration: 20 hours / week, 4-6 months
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of interdependence. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel injustice, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our future. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it. Sierra Club has close to 800 staff across the country and a network of 64 local chapters that are led and fueled by thousands of volunteers. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with three labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: The Organizer is responsible for recruiting, engaging, and motivating large numbers of new people to take repeated action which will further Sierra Club’s targeted campaign goals. Identifies and develops volunteers to take on the role of team leaders and build grassroots power and networks.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- Volunteer Coordination. Identifies, recruits and organizes volunteers both in Sierra Club and other groups around assigned campaign or program.
- Engages people and develops volunteer leadership in advocacy activities that will create strong environmental communities and build power.
- Develops and implements a variety of engagement strategies including on-line and face-to-face to support Sierra Club goals.
- Maintains and develops new partnerships with affinity groups who share many common goals and values.
- External Communications. Works with appropriate staff and volunteer entities to plan and implement visibility, media and community outreach events to generate public support with decision makers and in the media.
- Leadership Development. Identifies and develops volunteers who will take work as part of a team and take on the role of team leaders to build our grassroots power and networks. Helps those leaders succeed by training and coaching them on how to strategize, organize, inspire and motivate.
- Program Coordination. Coordinates and measures success of activities with manager and campaign or program leads to ensure progress towards the campaign's mission and goals.
- Seasonal Activities. Heavier seasonal workloads may occur as a result of project deadlines, staff absences and vacancies, and during peak activity periods. Intermittent evening and occasional weekend work will be required.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following skills, experience and competencies:
- 1 year of experience working with volunteers in the environmental movement, political campaigns, or other, similar organizations to implement grassroots campaigns.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary for this position is $32.00 per hour.
North Star Chapter Political (PAC) Treasurer
- Provide oversight of finances, financial records
- Complete training with the Minnesota Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board, and the national Sierra Club
- Submit Campaign Finance Reports required by the Minnesota Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board
- Promote adherence to and communicate any changes in financial policies and procedures to volunteers and staff
- Submit year-end financial report to the Chapter Coordinator
- Work with staff to prepare a PAC budget for election years, and regularly compare financial transactions to the approved budget.
- Experience with financial management
- Nonprofit and political committee / committee fund finances a plus
- Willingness to learn
Contact: Margaret Levin, email@example.com
To find Sierra Club jobs in other parts of the country, visit www.sierraclub.org/careers.