Mission: We are working for a just, equitable, and fast transition to 100% renewable energy in Rochester!
Strategic Goals for 2019 - 2020:
- Commit Rochester to a just, equitable, and fast transition to 100% renewable energy
- Support our students’ work to commit the University of Minnesota Rochester to strong climate change goals
- Measure and improve Rochester’s air quality downtown and in residential areas
- Increase Rochester’s energy efficiency through:
- Progressive energy rate structures that incentivize conservation, off peak energy use, and protect low income households
- Improved energy assistance, reduced “bad-credit” penalties, and new funds for low income household conservation and efficiency improvements
- Increased energy efficiency and sustainability requirements for incentivized and subsidized development
- Support the work of local partner organizations around racial justice, affordable housing, immigrant rights, and public transportation
- Join in our monthly organizing meeting the 2nd Monday of every month at 6:30pm at 125 Live (125 Elton Hills Dr NW, Rochester MN 55901).
- Like our Facebook group at www.facebook.com/RochesterMNSierra/
- Email Rick at Rick.Morris@SierraClub.org to be added to our local email list! That is our primary way to communicate monthly opportunities for advocacy (like at the Public Utility board meeting!), education (like at movie screenings and discussions!), and fun (like air quality monitoring, hikes, and picnics!).
- We have TONS of opportunities. Whether you have just 1 hour or 20 hours, you can make a HUGE impact in Rochester!
Over the last couple of years in Rochester we've won:
- RPU coal free by 2031 commitment
- DMC sustainability resolution
- DMC design guidelines
- DMC/Rochester sustainability director position PLUS a second full time sustainability position
- Energy Action Plan adopted into Rochester Comprehensive Plan
- Rochester resolution for 30% GHG reduction by 2030, 80% by 2050
- RPU community solar program
- RPU commitment to including pathway to 100% renewable in infrastructure plan (2019)
- RPU advanced meter infrastructure study (2019)
- RPU time of use pricing by 2021 latest
We endorsed in the city council and mayoral races for the first time in 2018! Our endorsed candidates for mayor and two city council seats won their races.