San Luis Obispo County Trail Guides
|This 200-page update of the SLO County Trail Guide covers more than 50 trails, with new maps, illustrations, usage information and trail descriptions. It was researched, compiled and written by experienced hikers thoroughly familiar with the local back country.
This comprehensive Trail Guide covers the local favorites of Montana de Oro, Bishop Peak, El Chorro Regional Park, to name a few. Further afield, it describes trails in the Los Padres National Forest, Pozo, Big and Little Falls, Machesna Mountain Wilderness, Garcia Wilderness, Nipomo Dunes, Lopez Lake, San Simeon and more. It is by far the best book on hiking in San Luis Obispo County.
Because the Sierra Club does not encourage trespassing across private property, trails like High School Hill and Cerro San Luis (Madonna Mountain) are not included in this book. Even though they are popular with local hikers, they cross private property and have not been legalized for use.
The rewriting of this book, first published in 1981, was done entirely by volunteers in a concerted effort that stretched out over three years.
This guide serves more than one purpose. Besides offering reliable, up-to-date information for venturing onto our trails, it serves as a major funding source for the Santa Lucia Chapter. Funds from its sales are used for our common goal: to preserve and protect our natural resources for the enjoyment of all.
Corrections and Updates
The San Luis Obispo County Trail Guide, ISBN 1-930401-07-8, retails for $15.95.
Retailers such as book stores, outdoor shops, gift shops and hotels may order by calling
Central Coast Books at (805)534-0307, or E-Mail: Central Coast Books
Individual orders may be placed directly through the Sierra Club:
$14.95, No Sales Tax or Shipping Charges
To Order Print the Trail Guide Order Form by Clicking **Here**
Send your check made payable to "Sierra Club Trail Guide" to:
Sierra Club Trail Guide
P.O. Box 15755
San Luis Obispo, CA 93406
Allow 2-3 weeks for delivery
Hot off the presses! New guide to Montana de Oro Park, by Gary and Darlene Felsman!
Exploring Montana de Oro State Park and Point Buchon, Retail $16.95
Explore the extensive trail network on California’s scenic Central Coast. The paths within Montana de Oro State Park and Point Buchon are sure to provide many adventures for hikers, cyclists, equestrians and others to explore.
Gary and Darlene Felsman have assembled their 26 favorite trips for this guide. Each route has a detailed map, trail description and photos of what you might encounter during your explorations
We hope you enjoy this book and will share your experiences with your friends.
We have also provided for your convenience Camping Information and other visitor Friendly information to enhance your visit to the area.
Retailers such as book stores, outdoor shops, gift shops and hotels may order by calling:
- Central Coast Books at (805)534-0307, or E-Mail: Central Coast Books
- Kindle Color Version for Kindle, IPAD, IPhone available on Amazon.
Available at your local stores, April 2016.
Printed Version ISBN: 978-1-930401-24-2
Trail Guide to Los Padres Forest (Northern Section)
Ventana Chapter of the Sierra Club's
The Trail Guide to the Los Padres National Forest, Northern Section, ISBN 0-9650652-0-0, retails for $14.95.
Where to Buy or Order Trail Guides
Trail Guides can be found at most bookstores. Here are a few locations that carry them:
- U.S. Forest Service, 1616 N. Carlotti Drive, Santa Maria, CA 93454 (805)925-9538
- Allan Hancock College Book Store, 801 S. Bradley, Santa Maria, CA 93454 (805)922-2391
- Cuesta College Book Store, Highway 1, (805)546-3206
- Four Seasons Outfitters, 432 S. Higuera Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 (805)544-5171
- San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce, 895 Monterey St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 (805) 781-2670
- Morro Bay Museum of Natural History, Morro Bay, CA 93442 (805)772-2694
- Mountain Air Sports 667 Marsh Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 (805)543-1676
- The Photo Shop, 1027 Marsh Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 (805)543-4025
- Barnes & Noble, 894 Marsh Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, (805) 781-8334