The Outings Committee trains and certifies leaders for hiking, overnight backpacking, car camping, canoeing, kayaking, bicycling, trail maintenance, skiing, snowshoeing, birding, plant and mushroom identification, and photography walks.
Members and non-members are welcome to participate in our activities. Most trips free -- of course we gladly accept donations to help defray the outing program costs.
Local Groups often list their activities on their Group website. Most outings accross the state are posted on the the State Chapter Calendar. Outing details and sign-up are typically handled on our associated Meetup sites.
Outings leaders connect people with nature in an informative setting.
Take that first step and attend a Leadership Training!
We offer training several times a year.
What are the qualities needed for Leadership?
Judgment, inspiration, and environmental awareness are the most important qualities in a leader. We welcome and encourage people of all ages and from all backgrounds to become outings leaders! The more diverse our leaders are, the more diverse are the outings we can offer!
Why be an Outings Leader?
The leadership skills and confidence you develop often strengthen your personal life.
Certified Outings Leader Qualifications:
- Current Sierra Club member.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Basic First Aid certification or higher.
- Complete the Outings Leader Training (OLT)
- Have outing participant skills appropriate for the activities of the trip towards the advanced end of the scale.
- Provisionally lead at least one outing and receive a positive evaluation by the Mentor Leader.
- Receive approval to lead outings from the Outing Chair or delegated authority of the Entity sponsoring the outing.