“Seeing the awe and joy on visitors' faces reminds me of the uniqueness Yosemite Valley, and the Sierra Club’s activism to get the Valley added to Yosemite National Park in 1906.”
- Elaine Gorman, Volunteer, Mother Lode Chapter.
Volunteer Opportunities for 2024
For information or to volunteer, please contact Connor McIntosh at 209-230-9943 (EDT) or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your phone number with your request.
The Yosemite Conservation Heritage Center is looking for dedicated volunteers to assist with interpretation at the Center during the season that begins May 1 and runs through September 30. The Yosemite Conservation Heritage Center is open Wednesday through Sunday from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm, with free evening programs on Friday and Saturday evenings at 8:00 pm. Seating for evening programs is limited to 50 guests. Some programs are oriented toward families and children.
Volunteers for the Yosemite Conservation Heritage Center must be members of the Sierra Club.
- Free entrance pass to Yosemite National Park during your week of volunteering
- Free shared camping at the designated Yosemite Conservation Heritage Center campsite in Yosemite National Park (Should you desire other housing arrangements, these must be made by the volunteer at the volunteer's expense.)
- Volunteers have Monday and Tuesday on their own to enjoy Yosemite National Park
- Free showers at Curry Village or Housekeeping Camp
- Greet the public, introduce visitors to the exhibits and the library, and assist with evening programs.
- Answer questions (materials and maps are provided). Volunteers are encouraged to study on their own, training sessions are limited.
Volunteers arrive on Saturday by 5:00 pm, work Saturday evening 7:15 pm until 10:00 pm, and Sunday, from 9:30 am until 1:00 pm or 12:45 pm until 4:15 pm. There is a staff meeting on Saturday at 5:00 pm. There is a training session at the Yosemite Conservation Heritage Center on Sunday morning at 9:00 am. Monday and Tuesday are free days to enjoy Yosemite National Park. Volunteers work the remainder of the week, Wednesday through Saturday, 10:00 am until 1:00 pm or 1:00 pm until 4:15 pm; and, Friday evening 7:15 pm until 10:00 pm.
- Volunteers must be members of the Sierra Club.
- Volunteers must have visited Yosemite at least once in the last two years.
- Volunteers must have a basic working knowledge of Yosemite National Park, directions, accommodations, food service, and facilities.
- Volunteers should be comfortable talking with the public about the Sierra Club, the history of the Sierra Club as well as ongoing programs at the Yosemite Conservation Heritage Center and in the park.
- Volunteers must be able to stand for up to three hours on a concrete floor and lift up to 40 pounds (chairs, tables, books, etc.).
- All volunteers provide their own tents, food, and camp equipment.
- Volunteers may stay for only one week as a volunteer, but your stay as a volunteer does not count against your camping limit on your own elsewhere in the park.
- No guests are permitted. We have limited campground space for volunteers only.
- There are no accommodations for children.
- No pets are allowed in the campsite or in the Yosemite Conservation Heritage Center.
- A shared campsite and one food locker per volunteer or volunteer couple, in which to store all food and toiletries, are provided for volunteers.
- Volunteers will be provided with basic historical information about the Sierra Club and the Yosemite Conservation Heritage Center.
- Volunteers are encouraged to draw from their own knowledge and share their reading and experience.
- Couples and partners are encouraged to volunteer and share the same shift.