"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." - from The Lorax by Dr. Seuss
To get involved:
- If you are interested in volunteering, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Discuss environmental issues with elected officials and candidates. Have you ever wondered why elected officials never talk about the environment? Perhaps it is because their constituents never talk to them about environmental issues. Perhaps their constituents never bring them ideas and solutions.
- Respond to requests for action that are sent to you via e-mail
- Write letters to the editor about environmental issues. Tips on Writing a Letter to the Editor
- Call into talk radio. Talk Radio Can Be An Environmentalist's Friend
- Talk to your neighbors and friends about the issues
- Join rallies
- Organize rallies, marches, parades, walks, demonstrations (check with city hall for permit requirements)
- Become active in the local Sierra Club group nearest you
- Run for public office
- Support candidates for public office who stand for environmental protection - preserving natural areas, clean water, clean air, and a healthy environment.
LOCAL SIERRA CLUB GROUPS
The Sierra Club is divided into chapters. The Iowa Chapter has 8 groups. These groups offer outings, advocate on local issues, and participate in local events and activities.
Counties: Black Hawk, Buchanan, Bremer, Butler, Grundy, Chickasaw, Hardin
Counties: Linn, Jones, Benton, Tama
Counties: Polk, Dallas, Guthrie, Jasper, Poweshiek, Mahaska, Marion, Warren, Madison, Adair, Clarke, Lucas, Monroe, Decatur, Wayne, Union, Ringgold, Appanoose, Story, Boone, Marshall
Eagle View Group - Clinton, IA, and the Quad Cities Area - Group participates in both Iowa and Illinois Chapters
Counties: Scott, Clinton, Muscatine
Counties: Johnson, Washington, Iowa, Cedar, Keokuk
Southeast Iowa Group (Formerly the Leopold Group) - Burlington, Fairfield, and Ottumwa Area
Counties: Des Moines, Louisa, Henry, Lee, Van Buren, Jefferson, Davis, Wapello
Counties: Woodbury, Monona, Ida, Cherokee, Plymouth, Sioux, Lyon, Osceola, O'Brien, Buena Vista, Sac, Crawford, Harrison
White Pine Group - Dubuque, Decorah, and Elkader Area
Counties: Dubuque, Jackson, Delaware, Clayton, Fayette, Allamakee, Winneshiek, Howard
Counties: Pottawattamie, Carroll, Greene, Shelby, Audubon, Cass, Adams, Mills, Montgomery, Fremont, Page, Taylor
Photo below, hiking on the Raccoon River Park Trail in West Des Moines. Photo by Ginger Soelberg.