Sierra Club Group Outings are a great way to get out and experience the beauty of New Jersey's natural areas while getting to know members of the New Jersey Chapter community.
Get Outdoors with Sierra Club New Jersey Chapter
Walk through a dwarf forest by a beach, see the fall foliage at Monmouth Battlefield State Park, hike across a swinging bridge at the D&R Canal towpath, and more.
Outings are arranged and conducted by volunteer leaders who are responsible for the safety, welfare and enjoyment of all participants. All of our group outings are generally open to Club members, guests and anyone who is interested. Unless otherwise specified, the events are free and open to the public.
Central Jersey: Leona and George Fluck, firstname.lastname@example.org, (609) 259-3734
Gateway: Steven Yafet, email@example.com and Ron Pate, Ronpate31@verizon.net
Hudson County: Steve Krinsky, firstname.lastname@example.org
Hunterdon Warren: Ron Gelok III, Gelokron@gmail.com
Jersey Shore: Open position
Loantaka: Kevin O'Brien, email@example.com
North Jersey: Co-Chairs: Open Position and Mary Walsh, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ocean County: Open position
Raritan Valley: John Miraglia, email@example.com; S. Pasricha, firstname.lastname@example.org; and Bernadette Maher
Skylands: Dave Alcock, email@example.com
South Jersey: Tom Boghosian, firstname.lastname@example.org
West Jersey: Open position
If you are a Sierra Club member interested in becoming an Outings Leader or have suggestions for new outings, contact your Group Outings Chair or the Chapter Outings Chair for assistance and further information.
- Outing Leaders determine qualifications to participate, adequacy of equipment, routes to be followed, and special precautions to be taken.
- ALL participants must sign liability waivers on ALL outings sponsored by the Sierra Club. Please check with the leader before bringing small children on an outing. A parent or other responsible adult must accompany persons under 18. Participants may bring pets on outings only if the event description specifically says pets are allowed.
- Registration is required for all outings, and outings are generally limited to 10 to 12 people unless otherwise indicated. Face masks are not required for adults but are suggested. Face masks are required for all children. Please keep appropriate space (6 ft.) between you and other participants on all outings. If you are sick and experiencing any possible Covid-19 or cold/flu symptoms, do not attend the outing.
- Please arrive early at the meeting place so that the outing can start on time.
- Please arrive adequately prepared and equipped. If you have any allergies, please remember to bring your medication.
- For day hikes, lunch, water (at least a liter), extra clothing, rain gear, and emergency equipment should be carried in a small daypack. For all except easy hikes, sturdy over-the-ankle shoes or boots should be worn. For most trips, you are expected to have your own equipment. In some cases, it may be rented from outdoor/camping suppliers - call or message the trip leader for more information. If the weather is questionable on the date of the outing, you may assume that it will take place, unless the hike description indicates otherwise.
- The leader has the final word in the conduct of the trip. Your cooperation will help assure a safe and pleasant outing.