October 12, 2023
The 20th Anniversary of the Crandon Mine purchase will be celebrated on Saturday, October 28th beginning at the site of the former proposed mine site near the Mole Lake Sokaogon Community in Forest County.
The Celebration marks the purchase of the mining company and the property by the Mole Lake Band and the Forest County Potowatomi in 2003. The Sierra Club-Wisconsin Chapter was one of many organizations that worked to defeat the proposed mine beginning more than a decade before the purchase. Efforts by member volunteers and staff were critically important in passing safeguards such as the Prove It First law and we continue to work to watchdog mining developments here and to oppose efforts to gut state protections.
Note that the address for the former site is 9713 Sand Lake Road, Crandon (balloons will mark the site) and the morning itenerary will be held at the Mole Lake Casino and Lodge Conference Center if the weather is too cold (less than 34 degrees.
Event Agenda: Saturday, October 28
- 8:30 am: Meet at former mine property, located off Sand Lake Road; Coffee and pastries
- 9:00 am: Opening prayer and song
- 9:20 am: Speakers on history and personal stories
- 11:00 am: Walk to Sokaogon Chippewa Reservation
- Noon: Lunch at Mole Lake Casino and Lodge Conference Center in Crandon, WI
- 1:00 pm: Mini-powwow at Potawatomi Community Center in Crandon, WI
- 2:30 pm: Honor song in remembrance of all who have walked on
- 4:30 pm: Dancer give-away
- 5:30 pm: Traditional feast
More info on the celebration:
Questions? Contact Tina Van Zile at 715-622-0120