What is happening?
On Monday, January 29, 2024 | 05:30 PM the Palo Alto City Council will hold its Annual Retreat/Priority Setting Meeting at the Mitchell Park Community Center. At this meeting, Mayor Stone and Council members will review and select a few high level topics that will receive significant attention during the year. This is an opportunity for community members to share our thoughts on what priorities the City Council should adopt for 2024.
Why is this important?
In 2023, the Natural Environment was prioritized in addition to Climate Change. This made a difference: the City has adopted a new Tree Master Plan which protects more native trees, and started working on regulation to protect birds from collision with glass and other man-made hazards, and to protect us (and the dark sky) from the harmful effects of light pollution. Other work is yet to start. We should do better in protecting our waterways from encroachment, allowing wildlife connectivity and enhancing habitat for wildlife. This is our opportunity to ask our elected officials to continue prioritizing Biodiversity and the Natural Environment, and to ask them to continue work on policies for Bird Safe Design, reducing light pollution, protecting creeks and riparian corridors, and reducing the use of plastic in landscaping.
What can you do?
Come to the public meeting and speak, or write an email, and ask Mayor Stone, Vice Mayor Lauing and Council to:
Prioritize Biodiversity and the Natural Environment as a city priority for 2024:
- Develop and adopt regulations that should help reduce light pollution and protect the Dark Sky.
- Develop and adopt regulations that should help reduce bird-collision hazards.
- Develop and adopt regulations to protect water quality in creeks and protect riparian corridors from encroachment.
- Develop and adopt regulations to reduce the use of plastic in landscaping, especially artificial turf.
- Continue to study and implement protections to our baylands, and protect the community from the impacts of sea level rise.
To attend and speak: please join us Monday, January 29, 2024 | 05:30 PM at Mitchell Park Community Center
Subject: Please Prioritize Biodiversity and the Natural Environment
Email: Please write a little about yourself and why you care about nature and biodiversity, and choose all or some of the points above to write about.