This is a call for Nominations to seek election to the Pennsylvania Chapter Executive Committee as an At-Large Member to serve 2024-2025.
The Sierra Club Pennsylvania Chapter is looking for dedicated members who want to become an At-Large member of the Pennsylvania Chapter Executive Committee (ExCom). Three At-Large members of the ExCom will be elected in 2023 to serve in 2024-25.
The Chapter Nominations committee for At-Large ExCom members seeks nominees from any region, background, race, gender, orientation or age to apply for this position. Nominees must be current members of the Sierra Club who reside in Pennsylvania.
Sierra Club is dedicated to building a powerful and inclusive environmental movement and needs ExCom members from diverse backgrounds and experiences to reach our highest potential. In addition to an ExCom member from each Pennsylvania Group, the Chapter ExCom has six At-Large members, three of whom are elected each year.
The Chapter ExCom sets the priorities, policies, and budget (with member input) that enable volunteers and staff to carry out the Sierra Club’s mission. The Chapter ExCom also reviews endorsements of candidates for elective political offices.
Pennsylvania Chapter ExCom has been meeting via Zoom teleconferencing and on occasion in-person and conducting some votes via email. The ExCom intends to provide Orientation to new At-Large and Group ExCom members.
Each Chapter ExCom member is expected to:
- Prepare for and attend at least four ExCom meetings (possibly more) annually, as well as monthly conference calls, email, and other briefings.
- Serve actively on one or more committees and/or task forces.
- Participate in constructive engagement with and focus on the Sierra Club’s strategic priorities.
- Represent and advance the Sierra Club and its programs, campaigns, and policies to various Sierra Club entities and diverse public audiences.
- Work to build a broader environmental movement to achieve our most important goals, including a commitment to Sierra Club’s values of equity, inclusion and justice and the Jemez Principles of Democratic Organizing.
The Chapter will notify all those members who may wish to be nominated to become At-Large ExCom members via email to all those Chapter members who have provided the Chapter with email addresses and via posting on the Pennsylvania Chapter section of Sierra Club Campfire.
If you are interested in becoming a candidate for an At-Large seat on the Chapter ExCom, please submit a statement of interest to the Nominations Committee, which lists:
1. Your contact information
- Email address
2. A Candidate's Statement explaining why you want to be an At-Large ExCom member (150 words max) for publication in online ballot.
3. A digital photo for publication in online ballot (optional)
Please submit your nomination statement of interest to:
Donald Miles, Chapter Nominations Committee Chair at email@example.com
Chris Shepherd, Chapter ExCom Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your statement of interest no later than September 9, 2023.
Candidates will be reviewed by the Nominations Committee and submitted to the ExCom for approval as candidates, along with their Candidate Statement and photo (if any), by September 30, 2023.
Mail ballots and email ballot election links for the At-Large ExCom members election will be sent to all Chapter members on November 9, 2023. All votes must submitted to the Chapter by members no later than December 9, 2023 and the Election Committee will count the votes and announce the new 2024-2025 At-Large ExCom members by December 31,2022.