HOME | MEMBERSHIP | LEADERS | ACTIVISM | NEWS | GLS ON | GLS MEETUP
GLS is an official activity section of the Sierra Club . We offer the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community and their allies a variety of outdoor activities, including day hikes, car camping weekends, and backpack trips, and encourage participation in the Sierra Club's mission to explore, enjoy and protect the wild places of the earth. You do not have to be a member of GLS to participate in our activities but we do encourage you to join. You become a member by subscribing to our bimonthly newsletter, The Wild Side, in electronic form.
Good News! We are now able to resume our hikes and outings with a few new and evolving covid policies in effect:
No COVID vaccine or tests are required to participate on hikes and outdoor outings. Participants are welcome to wear a mask if it makes them comfortable. Masks and social distancing will be required for indoor spaces, and post-trip indoor social gatherings. You are potentially on an outing with individuals vaccinated and unvaccinated. It is your choice to attend the outing knowing this information. If someone is experiencing any possible COVID symptoms or is sick, they should not attend the outing.
Hikes will be classified as frontcountry or backcountry. Frontcountry hikes will be run as before COVID and differ from backcountry hikes in the ability to quickly get medical help in the event of a medical emergency. Hikes and Outings more than 60 minutes from definitive care are now known as backcountry. Participants who sign up for a backcountry day hike or backcountry multiday overnight trips will be required to fill out a medical form prior to the start of the hike or trip for leader review. A copy of the medical form will be made available to the hike leader and a copy should be carried by the participant. At the end of the hike (or trip), the medical form will be returned to the participant. Medical forms will not be retained, however, the signed participant agreement form will remain with the hike /trip leader. The hike description and multi-day outings will make it clear whether it’s deemed frontcountry or backcountry.
Activity Calendar Notes (scroll down for list of activities)
- All participants on GLS outings are required to sign a Participant Agreement form.
- All participants on GLS back country day hikes and multi day overnight trips are required to complete a Medical Form
- For more information about any of the GLS outings, contact the listed leader or our Outings Chair.
- For last minute updates on hikes or events, join the firstname.lastname@example.org email list.
- Hikes are rated for elevation gain, distance and terrain and carpooling locations are available for your convenience.
- Dogs are not allowed on club outings, unless the original write-up states that they are welcome.
- Smoking is prohibited on all GLS hikes.
- CST 2087766-40. Registration as a seller of travel does not constitute approval by the State of California.
|Word or Phrase||Word or phrase to search for:|
|Leader||All or part of leader name to search for:|
No Matching Activities Found
|Date||Activity (click title for full description)||Sponsor||Category||Type||Difficulty||Links|