The Leadership Training Program is sponsored by the Leadership Training Committee (LTC). We offer training courses for aspiring Sierra Club leaders and others wishing to improve their skills and we sponsor the Leadership Training Seminar required for all leader candidates as well as training in first aid, navigation, rock and snow. We produce the Leader's Reference Book (the LRB) and provide guidance throughout a candidate's certification process. We generally do not sponsor any regular outings, but can steer candidates and leaders to the groups and activity sections that do.
You can practice and test your skills at most LTC events, whether you are going for a rating or not. Each event has its own leader contacts and attendance requirements. Many events are checkoffs (checkouts) offered throughout the year to give prospective leaders the chance to advance to higher ratings. Events are listed on our Home Page on this site as well as on the Chapter website Schedule of Activities. Check back frequently for new events. We can also recommend private organizations that offer related training to help you with your leadership process.
- Take a look at Steps to Leadership and subpages for more on leadership requirements.
- Contact the LTC registrar for Seminar information and registration at: email@example.com
- Contact LTC Administrative Team for general information at: LTCangeleschapter@gmail.com
- View or download the New! 2022 edition of the Leaders Reference Book (LRB) in two parts on the LRB Page.
- Need to "refresh" your rating? Find details on Already a Leader.
- Want to stay found? Go to Navigation. Conservation? See Environmental Awareness.
- Discover the Chapter's Activity Sections to see the wide variety of what we do.
- Review the Rules of Conduct and the new Safe Spaces Agreement on this page.
- Two other programs of interest: LTC sponsors the Advanced Mountaineering Program (AMP) an instructional rock climbing and mountaineering technique course. Many LTC members are also affiliated with the Wilderness Travel Course (WTC), sponsored by the Chapter's Wilderness Training Committee. This 10-week advanced backpacking course is offered just once a year in winter and fills up fast!
Angeles Chapter Ratings
- O-1 leaders may lead day hikes and car camping trips on class 1 terrain (walking or hiking on trails or roads).
- O-2 leaders may lead overnight backpacks on class 1 terrain.
- Learn about the O Rating.
- Learn about the I Rating.
- M-Rock leaders may lead class 3 rock climbs but not moderate snow climbs.
- M-Snow leaders may lead moderate snow climbs but not class 3 rock climbs.
- Full M leaders may lead both class 3 rock climbs and moderate snow climbs.
- E-Rock leaders may lead class 4 rock climbs but not steep snow climbs.
- E-Snow leaders may lead steep snow climbs but not class 4 rock climbs.
- Full E leaders may lead both class 4 rock climbs and steep snow climbs.
- Learn about the Advanced Ratings and M-E Requirements.